Housed in the former Carnegie Library building in downtown Chico, the Chico Museum has hosted more than 90 exhibits celebrating the distinct heritage of Chico since it opened in February 1986. Exhibits change several times a year and include prestigious traveling exhibits as well as those created by the Museum focusing on local Chico and Butte County history.
The Museums Carnegie and Patrick galleries feature changing exhibits focusing on aspects of Chico’s past and present. The McIntyre gallery houses the permanent Chico Timeline 1830 – 2000 filled with photos, portraits, and artifacts evoking Chico’s diverse history.
The Patrick Ranch Museum was gifted to the Chico Museum Association, now known as the Far West Heritage Association by the last ranch owner, Hester Grimm Patrick in 2001. It is located 3 miles south of Chico on the Midway. The twenty eight acre property is home to the Glenwood Farm House, a nationally registered landmark, the tank house, Visitor Center with Gift Shop and two large barns.
Hester championed the promotion, documentation, preservation of history her entire life. The Patrick Ranch Museum’s mission is to preserve and to interpret agricultural history of the Sacramento Valley, including social, cultural and economic aspects. It provides enrichment for all ages through education about our rural past. A priority for the Patrick Ranch Museum is to research aspects of local agriculture with the goal of collecting the agricultural artifacts most pertinent to the evolution of each crop grown in the area.